Friday, May 22, 2009

Alonzo's Lullaby TONITE + Helen Fisher on TED talks

Tonight is the debut of my original composition for "Alonzo's Lullaby", which is a shaddow puppet piece about the Hagenback-Wallace train wreck of 1918. Couldn't get more obscure than that, i suppose? Lots of top-40 hits presented during this one! (i'm kidding, you know that, right?) Kidding aside, I've composed, along with my friend Nick Sjostrom, a sparse but beautiful (even if i say so myself) 30 minute piece to accompany the shaddow puppets. And don't worry if you're not in Baltimore to see it--we're going to be presenting it elsewhere at festivals and hopefully colleges. I'll keep you posted.

I have loved working on this project, it's just been amazing. Annie and Molly and Nana Projects have been incredible. I made some video of behind the scenes work that we did on it as well and i'm hoping to turn that into a bit of promo material/documentary about the process. It has been my most memorable "scoring/composition" activity of my career so far. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to participate and thankful for Molly to have asked me to put my voice and music to her show.

We debut it tonight--Creative Alliance, @ 8PM. See you there. And if not, we'll see you the next time we show it!!

In other news, I've been watching TED talks every morning as a supplement to skipping news reading. It really helps me to feel like i have something to talk about with people since i'm no longer up on current events. Today, I watched this one by Helen Fisher and was more impressed by the ideas she presented about Feminism. That women are now moving back towards the power and position in society and relationships that we had 10,000 years ago and even longer ago. That thought has had my mind spinning for an hour now.

Have a great weekend and I'll post again soon. See you out on the town!

No comments: