Thursday, June 04, 2009

ouch.

I watched Ray Kurzweil on TED.com this morning. And my brain began to ache a little, attempting to keep up as he was talking about the advances of technology. But he mentioned the establishment of his Singularity University and I realized, I didn't quite "get" what they were using the word for. So I looked it up.....I googled "What is singularity?" Little did I know that while I'm painting the back deck today and power washing the sidewalk, I can ponder and attempt to ponder THIS. It's possible that there is a nearby future of smarter-than-human intelligence within my lifetime. This is the Evolution, no? Will we evolve right out of being human? And the bigger question is: once there are beings with smarter-than-human intelligence, will they be things that won't war, don't cry, laugh only on command or as a pre-set, designed reaction to stimuli? More importantly, will they be bigger jerks than us or more "compassionate"?

Shout out to Jim in Dallas: I read your comment and I'm too lazy to comment back on my own blog, but just wanted to say....well, I don't know what I want to say to that. If we figure out what happened the second before the Bang, well....I don't know: what happens to mystery? What happens to Wondering?

Back to powerwashing--which I am finding super fun and satisfying, but it's hurting my arms!!

1 comment:

Jim Baker said...

I like your questions, especially if our developing higher intelligence will make us more compassionate. I sometimes think that as we become more technologically advanced, we become less civilized, or at least less civil.

I ask the question about what was there a split-second before the big bang because no matter how long one thinks that things have been evolving, sooner or later you have to address that question. However, thinking about it too long makes my head hurt.

Hope to see you soon!